The Town of Galen
The town of Galen, a part of Military Township No. 27-Galen, was given as compensation for services to the medical department of the revolution, and was organized by state law as a civil town on February 14, 1812. The name comes from Claudius Galenus, commonly known as Galen, a celebrate physician, who was born at Pergamus, in Mysia, about 130 AD.
1814 September 6th. Galen Union Library instituted- " not to be moved more than ½ mile from the Bridge Lauraville Galen."
1814 Galen's first schoolhouse opened in Lock Berlin.
1828 February 27th. A Post Office was established at Angell's Corners. Amassa Angell was appointed postmaster.
1835 May 2nd. Clyde, largest populated settlement in Galen, incorporated.
1850 April 25th. E.F. Vanderbilt opened a grocery establishment in Lockpit.
1858 Map indicates a schoolhouse in Meadville or Lockpit.
1951 October 14th. Marengo celebrated its 150th. Birthday. 200 attended the big Birthday Party.
1987 February 14th. The Town of Galen marked its 175th. Anniversary.